Saturday 20 March 2010

One day to go until my first Half Marathon...

Well this is it, the longest race I've yet to enter is upon me.

I've clocked up 23 miles of training runs this week in my lovely new Mizuno Wave Inspire 6s which after trying 4 pairs of trainers on the gait analysis machine at Up and Running in Birmingham discovered were the best at correcting my over-pronation yet provided a nice amount of cushioning, plus they're lightweight too. The only snag is that they are half a size bigger than my normal shoe size and although all advice for selecting trainer size suggests that this is ideal, they still feel a bit big if you ask me. It's been bugging me but I'm sure it's just psychological and they will serve me well both for the half marathon in Ironbridge tomorrow and for the main event, the Shakespeare Marathon in Stratford on 25/04/2010.

It has been raining constantly almost for the last 24 hours so I'm pretty sure tomorrow's 13.1 miles is going to be wet, muddy and very messy. It's quite a hilly route too I hear, at the end! Great, something to look forward to on the way around the course. I'm planning on taking many painkillers beforehand, well, not too many obviously.

Ironbridge Gorge is stunning, the last time I was there I walked 11 miles around it and it is very beautiful. I'm hoping I'll be able to appreciate that tomorrow and not be suffering so much that I can't be bothered to notice.

Well, I'm about to go off and do a bit of carb loading, which similarly to Eddie Izzard's experience in Marathon Man, doesn't altogether agree with me...still need to get the energy from somewhere I guess.

Then an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment