Monday 1 March 2010

Caught the NoroVirus bug, yuk

As you might imagine, the effects that the NoroVirus has on ones training regime aren't exactly positive.

After a meal out with 14 friends last week my first thought was that I'd contracted food poisoning. However, given the umpteen kids in my village, two of whom dined with us, that seem to have contracted the NoroVirus, this unfortunately seems to be the most likely cause as to my downfall last week.

Initially my main concern was that I wouldn't be able to attend the two-day TFM&A conference that I'd been so looking forward to since the previous 2009 event at Earls Court, London. However, then it dawned on me that not only would I miss my regular session at Running Club but that this could seriously set me back on my marathon training if it went on for, say, a week.

Thankfully though, the debilitating phase of the illness only lasted a few days and despite only consuming small amounts of Lucozade and one bowl of homemade lentil soup in 4 days, I was still able to run a 10k in 56.5 minutes when I hit the gym for the first time since I caught the bug.  The weekend session wasn't too bad either with an out and back 9.1 miler on Saturday from Penkridge towards Wolverhampton in 1 hour and 27 minutes followed by a 5 miler around the gorgeous Sutton Park on the Sunday. Two weeks to go until the Ironbridge Half marathon.

My real problem this week has in fact been that my feet have got blisters upon blisters from, I think, my alledgedly pronation-correcting insoles in my Saucony trainers. I'm going to attempt to rectify this problem by buying some other insoles but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment