Sunday 25 April 2010

Once in a lifetime marathon experience?

On several occasions since crossing the much longed for finish line at the end of the Stratford Marathon I have overheard myself desperately bleating ‘never again’ to various congratulatory comments coming my way.

I’m not sure whether this is a firm decision as yet or just a plea to my well wishers to remind me next time I consider entering a marathon of the aftermath that ensued (not to mention the 2 months of tee-totalism beforehand!).

Running a marathon for the first time genuinely is a full-on assault to the body and mind. Fact.  If you are like me and have in your head the whole way round ‘must not walk, must not walk, must not walk’, it is even worse for the following 3 days as your legs constantly remind you that stairs, seats (particularly toilet seats!) and car seats are a huge no-no.  Certainly things dropped on the floor accidentally will need to stay there for a while or be cunningly lassoed with some implement.  Not to mention the disruption that the onslaught of a marathon does to your digestive system. After days of odd eating habits, nerves and various concoctions of pills it is no wonder that my poor tummy had trouble dealing with a nice sea bass with fennel, pak choi and crushed potatoes at the post marathon spa hotel in Stratford I’d booked to attempt to recover. It’s a serious first for me not to be in a position to even consider the sweet menu let alone have a go at one.

The Shakespeare Marathon is a very decent course. Obviously Stratford upon Avon town is stunning and it isn’t long before you are plodding around the greenery of the surrounding countryside. On this particular day it was very hot and sunny which possibly caught a few people out, especially on the 6 mile straight of the dusty Straford Greenway. Pretty soul destroying on the second lap when many of the spectators have disappeared for a coffee and a cake to ease the pain of their clapping hands.

The organisation of the race was good, with loads of friendly marshalls and pretty good water stations including sponges which on this hot day was soooo appreciated.  As were the kiddies in the street getting us with Super Soakers! The offer of Jelly Babies en route from local residents was also a soul lifter and saved me from running out of my stash of M&S Percy Pigs J

The hill in the middle was a bit of a killer for some, but as long as you’ve included some hill training in your regime then it’s really nothing to panic about, just enjoy the downward run if your knees will allow.

Take some relatives and friends along to surprise you en-route which spurs you on (or nearly makes you fall over in my case), and to pick you up at the end if you feel like collapsing, which my parents told me many runners did.

The medal upon completion of the 26.2 miles is a good one and will have pride of place amongst my other medals for as long as it takes me to forget the 4 months training regime required beforehand and the 3 days of pain afterwards.

Very pleased with 4hr 26mins for my first ever marathon – just wish I hadn’t had to queue for a porta loo at mile 3 then it may even have been a little quicker.

Only complaint…the 4.30am start to get there.

Congratulations to all runners who completed the Stratford Half and Full Marathons and also the Virgin London Marathon which was also on the same day J



No comments:

Post a Comment