Monday 19 April 2010

Marathon training becoming marathon reality

So!

I’ve done 5Ks, 10Ks, 7 milers, 9 milers, half marathons, 20 milers plus a boot camp weekend. I’ve run with water without water, with carbohydrates and electrolytes, with Percy Pigs without Jelly babies, with a water bottle and with a Fuel Belt instead. Run in three different pairs of trainers and umpteen combinations of outfits. Tried myriad pre, during and post training foodstuffs. I’ve run with little sleep and lots of sleep the night before, with paracetamol, ibuprofen and Immodium. I’ve run in sunshine, rain, snow, frost, wind and hail.

All of this I am hoping has given me enough Marathon Mentality (in more ways than one) to complete my very first marathon this coming Sunday 25th April, the Shakespeare Marathon.

The next big challenge is going to be getting myself to the start line for 09:30, some 60 miles away from home, and fitting all of my pre-raceday knowledge into a different time frame. As I’ve mentioned before I’m really not a very good morning runner as my body hasn’t had chance to absorb enough nutrients or  liquids. I’m nervous about not having my own loo on hand. Plus the number of competitors is a lot more than I have experienced to date.

I’m running for Macmillan and so far my fundraising is going well but I am still yet to meet my target, fingers crossed I make it.

In addition, and old ankle/ foot injury has come back to haunt me and I have a niggly cough just one week shy of the marathon, nooooooo!

All of this let alone the logistics of getting two sets of parents to the venue as well!

Remind me again whose idea this was…

No comments:

Post a Comment