Monday 14 March 2011

Ironbridge Half Marathon 2011 Race Report

I survived!

It's probably not a surprise to you that I survived this race but believe me it is a surprise to me! 

Last year I ran a marathon. The marathon I ran was easier than this race. Honestly.


Still in one piece at the finish line


As a World Heritage Site, Ironbridge Gorge takes my breath away at the best of times with it's stunning beauty. Both times I have run this race I have been lucky enough to be bathed in sunshine which makes the valley all the more gorgeous to run through. However, in their wisdom, race organisers Telford Harriers, had reversed the course this year.

This change in direction made for a few surprised runners, despite the warning about the 'short, sharp hill at mile 8' delivered a few moments before the starting gun.  Naturally the race details were featured on the race website prior to the race - I wonder how many other others, like myself, didn't look at this because they thought they knew the course.

Starting from Town Park in Telford, with parents standing on the side lines ready to cheer me on and pick me up at the end, I was excited about the race. It had been by far my favourite race of the season in 2010 so I was looking forward to it very much. A 10:30am start is good for me - time for my porridge and honey to settle and for my brain to get in gear for the challenge ahead.  Not in gear enough it seemed.

I knew that the previous year I was 'marathon fit' so was expecting a bit more of a challenge as general training hadn't been as intense in the run up to this half marathon. However, I wasn't expecting to have to resort to WALKING in the race. WALKING! My worst fear - never had this been known previously in the Ashwell race repertoire. I have a few half marathons under my belt, a handful of 10Ks, even a 5K or two and a marathon. In none of these had I ever walked.

Disaster struck at mile 8 when faced with the 'short sharp hill', I may as well have been faced with a 50ft wall. I had to walk up it as my legs simply wouldn't run. Gutted. It was hard work even to walk up it as my legs were feeling quite tired by this stage. To make matters worse I wasn't sure if this was the hill that was referred to - as I hadn't seen a single mile marker. So there could be worse ahead!

There wasn't, luckily, however there were several smaller challenges ahead that seemed a lot harder than normal as the burn in my quads still hadn't dissipated from 'the hill'. I used to run the coastal path all the time and used to sprint up hills like a gazelle - more work required in this area evidently. Moreover, I was wearing newish trainers and the burn was starting to set in, there was no telling the state of my blisters. Eddie Izzard, Eddie Izzard became my mantra.

The rest of the course was tough but retrospectively enjoyable. At times I wanted to hide under one of the bushes in the park and cry. Not an option. The worst part for me was the shock of the hill and the mental disappointment of being forced to walk up it and then the not knowing how many miles were left to go. The only mile marker I saw was at mile 11 - which was a great relief I might add.

The last mini killer hill at 400 metres was a tester, but I pushed through this (it is on our regular running route with Wrekin Road Runners) knowing my family and friends were just around the corner and then we could go for a well deserved Sunday Roast. At this point I didn't even have the energy to look at my watch so the timing slip I received at the end advising me I was only 13 minutes slower than the previous year was somewhat of a surprise. All things considered.




Well done to everyone who finished and thanks to everyone who sponsored me for Hope House Children's Hospices.

Would I run it again? You betcha :-)

Do I still have blisters? Big ones :-(


No comments:

Post a Comment